Progressive slots are a type of slot game that has become extremely popular at online casinos. They offer a jackpot that grows with each and every bet that is placed, and the biggest jackpots have been known to pay out life-changing amounts. As such, free progressive slots are not option, because due to their very nature they can only be played for real money.
History of Progressive Slot Machines
Progressive slots jackpot games were created in the 1980s. The random number generator, developed by Inge Telnaus crated the possibility for more combinations than the physical reels were able to up until then. The computerized slots machines reduced the odds of a player hitting a top jackpot and the casinos were therefore able to offer larger jackpots.
In 1986, networked progressive slot games were unveiled which were linked together via telephone modems. The jackpot network meant that part of every bet placed on the machines in the network contributed to the growing progressive jackpot, which was seeded at $1 million.
- Progressive Jackpots
- Up and up the jackpot goes, where it ends nobody knows.
- * winners and jackpots updated in real time from our host casino
Online Progressive Slots
Online progressive slots have become more popular with different types available that offer varying payouts:
- Standalone - a percentage of all bets on a single slot machine go towards the progressive jackpot. These are the lowest paying progressives. These jackpots are usually in the 1,000-10,000 range.
- Proprietary - These progressive machines are linked within a single property or between a few properties. The jackpots tend to not be life-changing, but can be substantial. These jackpots are usually in the 10,000 range.
- Wide-area - as the name implies, these progressive machines are linked to a wide area network with other machines from unrelated casinos. These jackpots can reach huge amounts. These jackpots usually pay out at 100,000 to one million; however much larger jackpots have also been won.
Microgaming Progressive Slots
Microgaming operates one of the largest progressive jackpot networks online. It has more than 41 different progressive slot machines and has paid out more than €320 million since its launch in 2003.
Mega Moolah is one of Microgaming’s largest paying jackpot slots in operation. It regularly pays out over $1 million, but in May 2009, it paid out its biggest jackpot to date of over €6 million. Other popular jackpot machine games from Microgaming include King Cashalot and Major Millions, both of which regularly pay out in the millions.