The popular game of poker has a number of variants, and one of the most recent of these variants is video poker, a technology-driven game. Anybody with basic knowledge of poker rules and poker hand rankings can play video poker. Today, video poker is one of the most popular casino games available, which is widely played in land casinos as well as online casinos.
The earliest slot machine games were the ancestors of the modern video poker machine. The game also drew inspiration from a poker variant called Five Card Draw Poker.
Most Popular Types of Video Poker
Here is a list of some of the most popular video poker variants.
- Jacks or Better - This is the simplest video poker game around and is well suited for beginners. A pair of Jacks is the lowest paying hand that players can make in this game.
- Tens or Better - Tens or Better is pretty much identical to Jacks or Better video poker, except that the lowest paying hand in case of the former is a pair of tens opposed to a pair of jacks.
- Deuces Wild - In case of Deuces Wild, deuces (2s) perform the function of wild cards, which means they help players create winning poker hands.
- Jokers Wild - This variant bears a striking similarity to Deuces Wild, but in Jokers Wild, the Joker serves the function of the wild. A deck of 53 cards is used to play this game.
- Aces and Faces - If players get Aces and picture cards in their hands, they will win larger payouts. This variant is therefore one of the most player friendly of video poker games.
Online video poker games are popular because they come with several unique features such as progressive jackpots and multi-hand features. In some games players can play up to 100 hands at a time, while others boast large progressive jackpots which are typically won when players make a Royal Flush.
How to Pick a Video Poker Game
Choosing a video poker game can be tough for beginners because there are so many variants to choose from at our host online casino. However, they are advised to choose the easiest video poker games such as Tens or Better and Jacks or Better when starting out.
Intermediate and advanced players usually select their video poker games based on their payout structure. Players who want to make a profit must select games that have return to player (RTP) percentages of 100 or more, such as Double Double Bonus and Deuces Wild.